header

Sunday 5 May 2013

Bournemouth.


Jacob and I went away this weekend as we were invited to stay down in Bournemouth, a tiny seaside town on the south coast of England, by Jacob's lovely uncle. This trip couldn't have come at a better time for the both of us, as we've been weighed down lately with so much stress from work (working and living side by side sometimes has its downfalls). It's about a two hour drive to Bournemouth from London, and I've not actually been for a drive (other than the occasional cab ride) since I arrived in this country. A miniature road trip was such a great alternative to travelling by train or coach because it allowed me to take in the lush green fields of London's countryside that slid by my window. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I have missed the ocean! My apartment back home was right on the water, so it has been a bit of an adjustment falling asleep to the sound of suburban traffic rather than a lapping tide, and not being able to taste the salt on your tongue when you step out the door. The beach at Bournemouth was brisk, not the kind that I am used to, but it was beautiful. I fell instantly in love with the views from the surrounding cliff tops, where the ocean gleamed a thousand shades of blue and the brilliant yellow weeds that grew everywhere made up for the lack of sunshine. The Bournemouth pier was another thing I loved. Like something out of a movie, I could imagine spending countless summers here, wasting change in the game arcade, eating ice cream that melts before you can finish it and drinking cocktails as the sun sinks into the sea. Which is much like the time I did spend whilst I was here. I'm already dreaming about days when the weather will be hot enough for me to take a dip.

2 comments: